What Type of Neighbor Are You Quiz

 


Currently, there are no scientific surveys to determine whether or not you are a good neighbor.

I do think one of the best measurements is how many of your eight closest neighbors do you know by name and speak to at least once a month.

But I think this quiz is the best when it comes to having fun with the idea and determining the type of neighbor you are.

So, while no one is watching, take this little quiz for yourself. Be honest with your answers, and you will get honest results in the end.

 

1.     I like my neighbors.

Yes

No

Somewhat

 

2.     My neighbors like me.

Yes

No

Somewhat

 

3.     I talk to my neighbors.

Yes

No

Somewhat

 

4.     I do nice things for my neighbors.

Yes

No

Somewhat

 

5.     I genuinely care for my neighbors.

Yes

No

Somewhat

 

6.     My neighbors invite me to their parties.

Yes

No

Somewhat

 

7.     I actually like going to my neighbors parties.

Yes

No

Somewhat

 

8.     I know what’s happening in my neighborhood.

Yes

No

Somewhat

 

9.     I watch out for my neighborhood.

Yes

No

Somewhat

 

10.  When people need help in my neighborhood they come to me.

Yes

No

Somewhat


Now total your score with two points for every yes, one point for every time you answered “somewhat” and zero points for every no.

Do you have that final total? Then let’s find out what type of neighbor you are.

17-20 points: Mister Rogers. You are the best neighbor ever. You know your neighbors, and you’re engaged in your neighborhood.

13-16 points: Steve Urkel. You’re a little quirky and sometimes annoying but deep down, you’re good-hearted and always do the right thing.

9-12 points. Wilson. You’re always there and are always willing to share friendly advice, but you like to stay on your side of the fence.

5-8 points. Ned Flanders. You’re trying hard, but people are just not getting you.

0-4 points. Newman. Not sure who would likely be next to you. You’re in desperate need of some neighboring help.

Pardon all the references to 1980s and 1990s television, but that is my favorite era of television!

This quiz is for fun. I adapted it from a quiz included in the book, “The Neighboring Church: Getting Better at What Jesus Says Matters Most” by Brian Mavis and Rick Rusaw (2016).

If you aspire to be more like Mister Rogers or Steve Urkel, I would encourage you to enroll in Neighboring 101 and attend the live monthly sessions (and watch past class videos) to discover more about what it means to become an engaged neighbor. Your family will thank you, your mental health will thank you and your neighborhood will thank you as well as we all strive to have neighborhoods that are clean, safe and friendly.

On a related note, you might also be interested in my blog post: Actions Make Neighbors Engaged, Not Just Good.


###

Does this article make you interested in taking the Engaged Neighbor pledge? Five categories and 20 principles to guide you toward becoming an engaged neighbor. Sign the pledge online at http://engagedneighbor.com.

Contact the blog author, David L. Burton at dburton541@yahoo.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MU Extension Announces Show Me Neighborhood Art Week June 1-15

ABCD Training for Neighborhood and Homeowner Leaders

12 Missourians Named Most Engaged Neighbors for 2023