My Attitude: Reflecting Christ in My Life
When I think about the word “attitude,” I think about the way I choose to respond to the situations and people around me. My attitude affects how I treat others, how I handle difficult situations, and ultimately how I represent Christ. The Bible has a lot to say about attitude, and these verses show me that my attitude should be shaped by God, not by my circumstances.
A story from the childhood of minister Harry Emerson Fosdick illustrates this well. As a boy growing up in New York, Fosdick remembered his mother sending him out to pick a quart of raspberries. He didn’t want to do it. He approached the task reluctantly, and the container seemed to fill painfully slowly.
Then he changed the challenge in his own mind. Instead of simply picking the quart his mother had requested, he decided he would surprise her by picking two quarts.
Suddenly, his whole experience changed.
The raspberries hadn’t changed. The chore hadn’t changed. His circumstances hadn’t changed. What changed was his attitude. What had seemed like an unpleasant obligation became a challenge he wanted to accomplish.
I think there is an important lesson in that simple story. Sometimes I spend a lot of energy wishing my circumstances would change when the first thing that needs to change is my attitude toward those circumstances.
Philippians 2:14 says, “Do all things without grumbling or questioning.” That verse is simple, but it can be difficult to live out. It reminds me that I shouldn’t constantly complain when things don’t go my way. Instead of asking, “Why do I have to do this?” or complaining about what I have, I should learn to be thankful and have a better perspective. Philippians 2:15 says that when we live this way, we “shine as lights in the world.” My attitude can actually be a way that other people see Christ in me.
Philippians 4:8 also teaches me that my attitude starts with my thoughts. It tells me to think about things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and worthy of praise. This challenges me to pay attention to what I allow into my mind. If I constantly focus on negativity, comparison, anger, or things that pull me away from God, that will eventually affect my attitude.
Romans 12:2 says that I should be transformed by the renewing of my mind. Fosdick’s raspberry story provides a simple picture of that principle. The situation may remain exactly the same, but when the way I think about it changes, the way I approach it can change too. For a Christian, renewing my mind goes even deeper. It means allowing God to reshape my thinking so that my response increasingly reflects Christ.
Another important part of attitude is humility. Philippians 2:3-5 tells me not to act out of rivalry or conceit, but to consider others and look to their interests. It then says, “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus.”
Jesus is the example I’m supposed to follow. Instead of always asking, “What about me?” I should ask, “How can I serve? How can I encourage someone? How can I put someone else before myself?”
Colossians 3:23 says, “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.” That may be one of the most practical verses in the Bible about attitude. Whether I’m working, studying, helping someone, doing chores, or completing something I don’t particularly enjoy, my attitude shouldn’t depend on whether someone notices my effort or gives me credit.
I can approach the task like that unwanted quart of raspberries—something to endure and finish as quickly as possible—or I can remember whom I ultimately serve. The task may not change, but the purpose I bring to it can change everything.
Of course, I know I won’t always have the right attitude. I will complain, become selfish, get frustrated, or think negatively. But 1 John 1:9 reminds me that when I confess my sins, God is faithful to forgive and cleanse me. Psalm 139:23-24 gives me a good prayer: “Search me, O God, and know my heart.” I need to allow God to show me where my attitude needs to change.
These verses teach me that attitude isn’t simply about “thinking positive.” It is something much deeper. It is about developing the mind of Christ.
It means choosing gratitude over complaining. Humility over pride. Service over selfishness. Faith over negativity. And purpose over obligation.
Sometimes God may change my circumstances. Other times, the circumstances may remain exactly the same. The raspberries may still need to be picked. The work may still need to be done. The difficult person may still be difficult. The problem may still be waiting for me tomorrow.
But God can change me.
As Colossians 3:10 says, I am putting on a “new self,” being renewed in the image of my Creator. My attitude is one of the most visible ways that transformation can show up in everyday life.
The situation may not change. The task may not change. But when Christ changes my attitude, He can change the way I experience both.
And my attitude becomes one more way I can show the world that Christ is changing my life.
WRITTEN BY
David L. Burton
For more information, visit the Engaged Neighbor website. Take our pledge and become part of a movement! Or subscribe to our newsletter. Access some of the research documents written by David Burton, the author of this blog. Or better yet, purchase one of his books off Amazon. Contact David L. Burton via email at dburton541@yahoo.

Comments
Post a Comment