Does An Act of Neighboring Kindness Benefit the Neighbors or You?


Being a good neighbor offers tremendous health benefits, reduces crime, reduces loneliness, improves communities, is a preventative measure against having difficult neighbors, and improves your quality of life. With all of those benefits I have to wonder why more people do not want to know their neighbors?

A State Farm research study on the "state of neighboring" showed that 50% of Americans do not take the time to get to know their neighbors, and 37% do not want to interact with their neighbors beyond a friendly wave hello. 

Americans today have limited time and attention and more ways to spend it. It is not that we are making an active decision not to talk with neighbors. Instead, we prefer to spend our time texting friends, chatting online, or watching television. This means Americans are growing farther apart and talking less with people who have different opinions. 

But being a good neighbor does not have to be a separate activity, or simply a box you check off your to-do list. Make neighboring part of your existing activities and I think you will find that you are the one that receives the benefits!

Consider this testimony sent to me on May 17, 2022, from a lady who recorded a radio show with me a few weeks before:
David, you inspired me to take action and meet my neighbors by knocking on doors!

People uniformly answered their doors looking wary and uncomfortable. When I explained that I was practicing cupcakes for my daughter's upcoming 50th birthday party, and that each batch made 36 cupcakes that I had to get out of the house, they responded with smiles and laughter. We had very pleasant conversations, 

I learned about each household, and discovered that I already knew two but had not been aware they lived there. I made notes of names and house numbers, and have printed out an aerial map from Google Earth, which I’m using to record who lives where.

When I started my deliveries, I had been in a funky mood for various boring reasons, but came home from my adventures full of smiles, satisfaction, and a feeling of connection. It will be fun now to wave at people I know in the neighborhood.

Thanks for sharing your program with me.

Are you making some food this week or something else you could share with a neighbor? If so, it might mean this is the perfect time to reach you and begin building a relationship!

###

Does this article make you interested in taking the Engaged Neighbor pledge? Five categories and 20 principles to guide you toward becoming an engaged neighbor. Sign the pledge online at http://engagedneighbor.com.

Contact the blog author, David L. Burton at dburton541@yahoo.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MU Extension Announces Show Me Neighborhood Art Week June 1-15

ABCD Training for Neighborhood and Homeowner Leaders

12 Missourians Named Most Engaged Neighbors for 2023