This New Year, I'm Looking for a Third Place


Growing up in the small town of Ash Grove, I had my favorite hangouts. Places like the library, Pic-n-Pay (convenience store and video arcade), and the swimming pool.

As a student at Drury University, places like the CX, student center game room, student newspaper office, and the basement of Stone Chapel were favorite haunts.

But as an adult, I have struggled to find a "hangout." Ridgecrest Baptist Church is the closest thing for my wife and me. We do not belong to clubs or have a favorite regular café.

Several years ago, there was a pizza place near my office in Springfield that I decided to visit weekly for lunch and then stay to read and meet people. But, on most visits, I was the only customer there, and eventually, the business closed.

My search for a regular hangout (known as a third place in sociology) has been slow. But I know how important it is, which is why I'm looking hard in 2023. I'm open to suggestions. (Reach me by email).

The existence of "third places" is vital to creating a strong, trusting, and flourishing community. But social trends have changed, and now, odds are you have never heard the term and do not have a third place you visit regularly.

I do not have any spots within walking distance of my house. I'm leaning toward trying to start something at the nearest Kum & Go.

When Kum & Go opened its first "marketplace design" store in Republic on March 30, 2016, the corporation hyped the new "marketplace seating area" as a space where neighbors could gather.

I have hosted morning studies with friends there, but most of the time, the space is empty when I visit. I am giving that Kum & Go in Republic another try by hosting a "Love Where You Live" class on Saturday mornings starting in February. You can search for it and register for it online at http://extension.missouri.edu.

A third place is a place for talking with friends, new friends and strangers. In time, it becomes your home away from home. A coffee shop or a convenience store is only a third-place if regulars meet there and you go often enough to make friends and social connections.

A third place can help us overcome loneliness too. We know that social connection is directly correlated with loneliness. Anxiety and depression are often rooted in self-absorption. The cure is social connection. Yet, often, when you are feeling depressed or anxious, the last thing you want to do is go out and interact with others because that seems threatening.

This is another important reason for developing third places where you interact with others regularly. If you don't, the loneliness and the correlated anxiety and depression will drive you into further isolation, which is the worst thing for you and the community.

In 2023, you can find me at book discussions at the Republic library or gathering friends at Kum & Go. When the weather is warmer, you might find me in my garage using my ping pong table to create a gathering spot.

If you have a third place, I would love to hear from you. But if not, now is an excellent time to create one for your neighborhood and the benefit of our democracy.

If you want to learn more, check out my column on this subject that appeared in the Springfield Daily Citizen. Opinion: Want to decrease division and rebuild community trust? Find a ‘third place’ near you

###

David Burton is a published author (with books on neighboring coming soon). Learn more at https://www.amazon.com/author/davidlburton

###

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MU Extension Announces Show Me Neighborhood Art Week June 1-15

ABCD Training for Neighborhood and Homeowner Leaders

12 Missourians Named Most Engaged Neighbors for 2023