Technology Offers Independence But Robs Us of Social Connections


Questions: What are the conditions for creating a life where humans can flourish? Answer: Human connections.

According to researchers, one of the reasons we have seen higher levels of distrust over the past 30 years, along with increased levels of loneliness, anxiety, burnout, and depression, is the absence of human connection that neighbors can provide.

One of the explanations is the growth in technology. Technology increases our independence and ability to do things without relying on others.

For example, if I have a smartphone, I don't have to attend a meeting in person or physically go to the library to find information. These are both past activities that required social interaction. The smartphone allows me to do these things on my own.

If you add up all the new kinds of technology, we're having this rapid rate of change and an explosion of freedom or independence.

At the same time, human adaptability does not change. We are still social animals. Our brains are, in most respects, the same as the human brain was 6,000 years ago before we had any of this technology. So here we are as human, deeply social animals living in a world designed for independence and freedom, and separateness.

We are building our homes without front porches but with attached garages. I can drive my car into the garage, close the door, walk into my home, get on my computer, and do all my interactions without talking to my neighbor.

We are also seeing similar changes in business where one of the significant movements right now is toward a frictionless customer experience.

The frictionless experience is where you go in and have all your needs met without the interruptions of human interaction.

I can go into a store quickly and find exactly what I need with the help of an app on my phone. Then I can do a self-checkout. I can get in and out quickly, and I don't have the friction of asking people for directions or waiting in line and talking with somebody at the checkout counter.

This idea of frictionless interaction increases efficiency, but it removes our opportunities for social interaction.

We keep designing our world to have less and less dependence on other human beings. Yet, human nature, brain development, and everything else requires social interaction to feel good about my life.

So here we are, living in this world filled with this tension that is creating these social problems of polarization and divisiveness and mental health problems: stress, anxiety, and burnout.

I cannot change the world but can change how I respond.

I can choose to have more social interaction, do things differently, or purposefully go to events or third spaces to have ongoing and regular social interaction. Not only does your health depend on you making these types of choices, but so does your community.

###

Does this article make you interested in taking the Engaged Neighbor pledge? Five categories and 20 principles to guide you toward becoming an engaged neighbor. Sign the pledge online at http://engagedneighbor.com.

Contact the blog author, David L. Burton at dburton541@yahoo.com.

Comments

  1. I think this is one of the reasons I have such a love-hate relationship with my cell phone. I prefer to use my laptop computer in general for various reasons. I find the cell phone is invaluable for directions when driving and trying to find an emailed receipt when I am out and about, but I am not fond of texting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MU Extension Announces Show Me Neighborhood Art Week June 1-15

ABCD Training for Neighborhood and Homeowner Leaders

12 Missourians Named Most Engaged Neighbors for 2023