Do Not Overlook Your Invisible Neighbor

 


I was never part of the "in crowd" growing up. I do not know that I especially aspired to be when I was younger, but as an adult, it does look like fun!

Unfortunately, being part of the "in crowd" is often based on what we can do for someone else. And it often focuses on exterior appearance. As I often share with others, I personally have a face for radio.

But also as an adult, I have discovered that we are not called to be part of the in crowd. We are called to reach out to and include those who are invisible. 

I also cannot claim to have done that well. But I sure aspire to do better.

It starts with identifying the "invisible" or those who are overlooked. This would include individuals like widows, persons who are disabled, the lonely and the forgotten. 

Pay attention to the invisible! Not only do they have talents to offer, but I know for me personally, we are commanded to reach them, not forget them.

Pause and take note of those on your street who are invisible. Those who do not get out or do not socialize. Those who have limitations or characteristics that keep them isolated. Take note, and then take action!

Reach out and extend an invite!

Your community might also have other ways to engage with the invisible in your community.

In a town near be, Willard, Missouri, there is a special coffee shop and cafe with special employees and a special mission. 

Lauren and I paid a visit this afternoon to The Hive in Willard. It is a special coffee shop with special employees and a special mission. Check them out sometime. Or learn about their mission online at https://www.hiveoftheozarks.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MU Extension Announces Show Me Neighborhood Art Week June 1-15

ABCD Training for Neighborhood and Homeowner Leaders

12 Missourians Named Most Engaged Neighbors for 2023