I Love Neighborhoods USA, and You Should Too!

 


Would it be awkward for me to say I love Neighborhoods USA? If you don’t know about NUSA, get their conference on your calendar, enter the awards program, and be encouraged! http://NUSA.org

I attended my first NUSA conference in Little Rock, Arkansas (2022) and was impressed with the variety of workshops, speakers, presentations, and guest speakers. It was so good that I made plans to attend the 48th annual conference in El Paso, Texas (2023).

A NUSA conference focuses on the practical, not the theoretical. Most attendees coming ready to learn new ideas, share information, and apply lessons learned at NUSA.

But best of all, every one of the 600+ yearly attendees at this conference are interested in neighboring and their neighborhood.

I do not have to try and convince people at this conference that neighboring is community development. I never have to convince someone it is important to be connected in your neighborhood for a sense of belonging. 

I never have to convince a NUSA conference attendee that my work is important. I do not have to argue for more cities and organizations developing a neighborhood focus!

The reason I do not, is because everyone at this conference already is doing this work! They are part of neighborhood associations, they lead neighborhood groups, they work with city departments that focus on neighbors and neighborhoods. 

At the 2023 conference, I led a workshop about Missouri Good Neighbor Week entitled, "Start With Hello: Creating a Week to Celebrate Neighbors in Your State." I was assigned an afternoon slot and worried I might have two or three participants. Instead, I ended up meeting the 60-seat capacity and had people standing in the back! After presenting, I had 14 people ask me to send them my presentation.

I'm not saying that because my presentation was that good. Rather, it demonstrates the spirit of this conference. Come and learn new things and share it with people who have similar interests!

I attended several workshops myself and everyone had elements that I could use in my work with University of Missouri Extension or pass on to other neighborhoods, clients and communities.

I learned about the neighboring department in Chandler, Arizona and its approach to citizen engagement. I learned about developing a historical neighborhood trail in Tallahassee, Florida. I learned about a Main Street redevelopment effort in Texarkana, Texas, and a neighborhood outreach to youth in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I saw a presentation about a Holiday Lights neighborhood project celebrating every holiday from October to December with 1200 homes participating! I learned about a project to feed homeless persons on a corner that turned into an effort involving 50 neighbors. I also learned about how a personal effort to help some senior citizens during COVID has turned into a citywide outreach to senior adults in need. I really enjoyed a session about Asset Based Community Development and how to apply that in your neighborhood. 

The neighboring department staff in Raleigh, North Carolina, presented an interesting workshop on creating an "unmeeting." It is a way to create a conference with workshops presented by attendees and the topics are determined at the opening of the conference. It is all based on who shows up and the ideas they want to speak about!

My work for MU Extension and the Engaged Neighbor Program that I am growing will be better as a result of what I learned at this conference.

The location of the NUSA conference in 2024 is still being determined. But no matter the host city, I am planning on attending! You should join me! Learn more at http://NUSA.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MU Extension Announces Show Me Neighborhood Art Week June 1-15

ABCD Training for Neighborhood and Homeowner Leaders

12 Missourians Named Most Engaged Neighbors for 2023